Saturday, May 2, 2009

Wedding Perspective and sippy cups.

I went to a wedding this evening. I really enjoy weddings. As I've gotten older I've been able to grasp a little bit more of the picture of Christ that it represents.

I've also realized how quickly life seems to move after that big event.

Tonight I was talking to the father of the bride and I asked how it felt being at this point in your life, your oldest child getting married, that is. I said, "It must seem like just yesterday when you were changing diapers." His response: "Oh yeah, I have a picture of her holding a sippy cup and her hair all over the place. She couldn't have been more than 2 years old. (he started to tear up) and I told her, honey that is how I will always see you."

Oh MY WORD. It was all I could do not to run home right then and take give my kids their sippy cup.. It is already happening so fast. And I am not the kind of person that really misses when we trade one "season" for another. But I have a feeling I am going to later on. Sippy cups.. that's where we are right now. The thought of my kids getting married, while glorious in theory, seems too bizarre for me to think about. Wont' they always be too young?

I just want to savor every moment. Sop it up with a biscuit. (sorry I'm a little hungry). I'm gonna guess they'll be used to it by then, but I'm pretty sure I'll be a little emotional as the years go by. Just want to live life to the fullest and not regret a single day.

And never get rid of the sippy cups.

4 comments:

Lindsay said...

Oh man. I feel the same way. Eli turns a year old in a little over two weeks and I can't believe how fast it's gone by already. I love every new phase that he enters but also want to freeze frame every moment and keep it forever.

If you haven't heard this song you should listen to it - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=at_lUnFjXg8. It makes me tear up every time I hear it.

Rachel Garcia, CD(DONA) said...

Lindsay- that is so funny that you mentioned that song. I just heard it for the first time last night, WHILE driving home from that wedding. Guess that helped fuel my thoughts on the matter. LOL.

Rachel said...

Too true, and sweet. We got some good pictures of Ali IN a wedding yesterday. She was in that white dress, Daddy was putting on her jewelry. . . made me realize that it was a foreshadowing of that which is to come way sooner than it feels like right now!!!

AND we do have a picture of her in her white dress with her sippy cup! :)

andria said...

Hi- I've enjoyed reading a few of your blog posts. Time is going by SO fast with our children, I can't believe that my oldest is going to be 4 1/2 this summer. Where the time has gone I don't know. I also really enjoyed reading your adoption story, that is awesome. We do serve a might God, and His plans are always for good.