Monday, November 12, 2012

I"m only HALF crazy!

Well, I did it.  I ran my first half marathon!! And what a fun weekend it was.  

I handed off the kiddos, on Friday, in two different locations (younger two to Tuscaloosa with my younger sister Rachel and the older two with my OLDER sister, Mishka in Montgomery).  

Then, me and the hubs were Pensacola bound!! And an added bonus: our friends Kristen and Jesse were there too!  Kristen is "full crazy" because she was running her first FULL marathon.  Wow! 

So we arrived Friday night and connected with Jesse and Kristen and ate dinner at Pegleg Pete's.  Being sure to start my weekend of "carb loading" (yes, I know it's only for the night before a race and not two days out) I chose to eat this: 

                                                                the grouper sandwich! 
And then we went to get coffee and chat!! 

The next morning I awoke to this view from our hotel room: 

Then we did a laid back 2 mile run to loosen up the legs for Sunday. And then we went to breakfast.  Y'all, only a picture will do justice to show what I ate.  

I eat the same, if not more, than a grown man.  I said I wouldn't eat the pancake but I ended up eating half.  Again, carb loading. Right? 

Then we went to pick up our packets.. and drive the course. 

*It should be noted that everyone was fine driving the course, until we veered off to follow the marathon route.  Everyone kept commenting on how boring it was to drive this route. LOL.  And poor Kristen was the only one "manning up" to run it.  26.2 miles is a loooong run.  (like I said, I'm only half crazy.. at this point).  

So then Jorge and I headed back over to the beach to get the necessary beach pics: 


 Ahh.. it was refreshing.  I loved being able to just have some "us" time.  Then we headed back to Mollie's house (who was hosting us Saturday night) in time for some yummy pasta (more carbs, YAY) and unfortunately, a terrible Alabama football game.

Then it was time for an early bedtime and an earlier wake up call.  It was 4:30 when my alarm went off letting me know it was time to stuff my face with a cream cheese bagel sitting beside my bed.  Then roll over and try to go back to sleep.  The final alarm going off was at 5:10.  Time to get ready.

Much to my chagrin, we arrived by 5:45 and in time to use one of these:
(thank you hubby for yelling "GOOD LUCK, BABE" for everyone to hear). 

Then it was time to go stand in line and wait: 
                                                    (it was a wee bit chilly, even for Pcola) 

                                       (it got a bit more bearable and then it was racing time)

And then off we went.  Me for the 13.1 and Kristen for the 26.2!! 

                                                  (in the second mile.. still smiling..)

And then I did it!! I finished.  13.1 in 2:02.  I'll admit it.  I was really hoping that I'd finish in under two hours but when I hit a wall at the 10 mile mark (my foot was hurting..among other things) I was just so glad that I finished.  When I ran my 10k last weekend I was on pace to finish in under 2 but like I said, I slowed down at the end and couldn't get it back.  But needless to say, I have no regrets! Just another reason to train harder!  

I also had a nasty chaffing spot under my arm so I had the pleasure of getting that "taken care of": 

And you better believe I took advantage of the free massages:  

And My gal Kristen wanted to finish her first marathon in under 4 hours.  And that girl finished in 3:57!!! 

I have to say: this was an insanely fun weekend! A getaway with my hubs, a run with a sweet friend and lots of CARBS!!!

Lets not talk about how sore I was for the first 24 hours.  And that I am totally gonna run another half soon!  I got two minutes I need to beat!!

A special thanks again to my awesome hubby for so proudly supporting me and telling me over and over how proud he was of me.  For my sisters, Mishka and Rachel for braving children and loosing sanity so that we could go.  To Mollie for hosting us and making us laugh. And to Kristen for being an amazing coach and running partner (and friend)!! And Jesse for showing us how to run with a jacket!!

Now I am asking myself the obvious next question:
Who knows.  I have no plans at the moment.

Any races y'all are running?


Lindsay said...

Way to go Rachel! What an accomplishment. I'm so excited for you!

As far as upcoming races go, I'm planning to do the Statue to Statue 15K in April and THEN.... I'm giving serious thought to doing the San Francisco Half Marathon in June. J.C. and I are flying into SF for our 10th anniversary trip on 6/14, and I happened to see that the marathon was scheduled for 6/16. Fate? I think perhaps :). It's a doozy of a course, though, so we'll see. I've also got it in the back of my head to try the 10 mile Red Nose Run in January, but I probably won't commit to that until the last minute. I'm currently trying to transition to more "minimalist" running shoes, and I've had to drastically back down my mileage while my muscles adjust, so I don't know if I can get there in time.

emily said...

(Sigh)... I'm going to start running again in May... Can't wait... Hopefully it won't take too long to get back into shape, but I won't start checking out races until then... Needless to say, I'm enjoying the posts of my running friends immensely:)

andria said...

Hi there. I'm looking forward to catching up on your blog, I've been out of the blogging world for about a year! We used to comment on each others blogs back in the day. Anyways, starting a new fresh blog myself. Your kids have gotten so big since I last looked at your blog. Looks like you are all doing well!