Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Just take a guess...

My husband likes watches. Now when I say this (hey babe.. if you are reading this..its all true and you know it) I mean, he really enjoys watches. Wearing them, looking at them, researching them, bidding on them (ebay).. its all a part of the thrill of the hunt for him. This terrible (my words not his) fascination was started when he worked with a certain man, who will remain nameless but does have a bounty on his head should I ever run into him again, who would buy really nice watches and "teach" Jorge all about them. Of course, we have not been in a position to buy lots of these "nice" watches but I did make a promise to Jorge that when he met his goal of a certain income level that he could buy a really nice watch without a word of protest from me. Now people.. we never really discussed the price of this really nice watch that he would get at this income.. he just mentioned name brands. Im clueless to name brands.. I think he played that on me ;-P.

Anyways..the goal has arrived. And now the search, for THE watch, is on. Whenever Big Jorge is on the computer it is a guarantee that he is looking at watches. So last night I was sitting on the couch next to him,  as he was perusing the Net to find his soul mate (watch). He starts showing me some of the ones he likes and of course I just can't get over the price. I mean if you are going to pay that kind of money for a watch then it should look like it costs "that kind of money." Which leads me to the statement: Honey, I mean really, a watch priced like that should have intricacies and look expensive, ya know. Well, that leads him to say: "Babe, the watch I would love to have we could never afford but it does have it's intricacies. Here let me show you." So onto the website for Pateke Phillipe we go. Now people, I know I have heard of some pricey watches but this was unreal. On the website, he showed me a watch called "Sky Moon Tourbillon." However, the site did not show the price for it. Jorge just said, "it's alot." Well that means nothing to me so I asked him to google "how much is the sky moon tourbillon." But before I tell you I want you to take a guess at how much you think this watch costs:





There it is.  The face and back of the watch in all its glory. How much? I will add that we found out that this watch is the most expensive watch sold at an auction, in the world. Get that? The most expensive watch in the WORLD. A WATCH. To tell you what time, day and month you are now living in. A thousand? Half a million? Guess....keep that number in your head and then I want you to leave me what you thought in a comment on this post.

The price tag for this watch: $1,240,400. Yes you read that right. One million two hundred forty thousand four hundred US dollars. You can read about the sale here.

Well obviously this is not the watch he will be getting..

4 comments:

Greta said...

Ha! I was thinking somewhere in the neighborhood of $50,000 (and thinking THAT was ridiculous).

Kim said...

Well, since $50 bucks is too much for me to spend...

care-in said...

Holy Cow! Our hubby's are drastically opposite in this regard. Xavier just tells me to by him the $10 watch at walmart...Jorge would probably cringe!!

Missy said...

I don't even own a watch and everytime I buy one for Stacy it breaks.
Can you imagine having that much money to spend on a watch?
Seriously, what is the point?
Hope you are well :)