Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Big girls don't cry?

Maybe not, but this momma sure will. Today I have a dr's appt to measure how big my little Eva is. This may not seem like such a big deal for a typical pregnancy.. but I can assure you it is a big deal for me. Besides the obvious: who wants to push out a 9 lb baby? (yes, Natalie.. besides you, lol). There is a bigger chance that big baby means induction and bye bye natural birth plan.

You see this is how it works. If Eva is measuring two weeks ahead (as the little tape told last month) then she is getting too much sugar. Which means more insulin. I am already at 52 units of insulin a day (5 shots in the belly) and my last pregnancy topped out with around 80. But I have 11 more weeks to go.. and so far we increase 4 units each week so you do the math: that would be 96 units of insulin at 40 weeks. Crazy. At those numbers (which is what I was on with Jorge) I would end up in the hospital at 37 weeks for a week until 38 weeks so that I could be induced (which is exactly what happened with Jorge.

So as you can tell.. .in a perfect world she would measure normal, we could continue to hope for no induction which would mean we could hope for the unmedicated birth. Sooooo.. please pray. My appt is at 3pm.

I'll keep you posted.

No comments: